A visit to the annual Tatton Park food festival provided the inspiration (and the main ingredients) for the menu - a fine lancastrian blend of haggis and black pudding and some sausage skins. All was going brilliantly until we realised our beautifully curled sausages just looked like a big dog poo...
Chefs: Simon and Jason.
Location: Jason's house.
Member's present: Jason, Simon, Howie and Jon B.
Offal Tour de Forcemeat.
4 Slices of haggis / black pudding blend
Spring greens chopped
Cooking apple sliced crossways into 4
Tin of foie gras de canard
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
30ml white wine vinagre
- Sautee the spring greens in the mustard and vinagre.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the honey and then the slices of apple over a medium heat till caramelised (about 2 minutes per side).
- Pan fry the haggis/black pudding and the foie gras.
- Complete the tower by placing the haggis/black pudding at the bottem, then the spring greens, the apple and top with the foie gras.
Sausage du Offal with Vegetable Mash and Onion Gravy.
1lb pork belly
12oz pork kidney
12oz lamb's liver
8oz closed cap mushrooms
3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon Colman's mustard powder
1 teaspoon of horseradish
2 onions sliced
1 tablespoon of flour
500ml chicken stock
dash of worcesteshire sauce
- Remove the skin from the pork belly and central core from the kidneys.
- Put all the ingredients through a mincer then mix well manually with salt and pepper.
- Load the sausage skins onto the sausage maker and fill to your heart's content!!
- Roast the pork skin in the oven at 200oC for 30 minutes and the sausages for 15 minutes.
- Boil the celeriac, potatoes and carrots for 20 minutes, drain, mash and add butter, horseradish and salt and pepper.
- Fry the onion in butter over low heat for 15 minutes till soft and brown.
- Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute then add the liquid. Simmer for 15 minutes.
The Girdle Buster
(from Nigella Christmas by Nigella Lawson)
- Process 375g digestive biscuits with 75g soft butter and 50g dark and 50g milk chocolate pieces.
- Press into a 23cm pie dish, and make a lip a little higher than the top of the dish. Freeze for 1 hour.
- Scoop 1 litre of softened coffee ice cream onto base, cover in clingfilm and replace in freeze.
- Melt 300g golden syrup, 100g light muscavado sugar and 75g butter in a pan then boil for 5 mins. Turn off the heat and add 2 Tbsp Jack Daniels. Add 125ml double cream and leave to cool.
- Pour over the set pie and place back in freezer. Serve from frozen.
Post-offal entertainment: Finally Goldeneye on the Nintendo64 was reborn!! Then we realised it was really outdated and actually a bit shit and moved on to L4D and Wii Mario Kart.
Holidays and birthdays got in the way again.
Quotes of the night:
"You could enter this on vegetarian master chef"
"I need some sausage juice"
"Next time: Offal sushi!"
"I dream of the zombie apocalypse"
"I love the smell of the Wirral in the morning"
Next venue: Offal club North (Howie is the new Mark)...