Lamenting the lack of offal, Jason insisted on lowering the tone by garnishing the lovingly made cardomom cake with butterscotch Angel Delight.
Location: Dan's house
Members present: Dan, Mark, Howie, Jason and Simon.
Jone's Swedish Meatballs
Meat: (the main ingredient)
2 pounds ground lean meat: use beef, pork or veal (may use some textured vegetable protein ground beef substitute)
Filler: (to give the meatballs the right consistency)
1 cup milk, cream, meat broth or water
1/2 cup all-purpose flour OR 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs OR 1 cup torn bread OR 1 cup mashed potatoes
Salt and Pepper:
Salt to taste (1 1/2 teaspoons suggested)
Pepper to taste (white or black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon suggested)
1 minced onion
1/4 tsp dry mustard or 1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- By hand or on medium speed with an electric mixture, thoroughly blend the ground meat, filler, salt and pepper, and other flavorings. Beat until very well mixed.
- Form into balls about 3/4"-1 1/2" in diameter: do this by hand, or use a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop, or a melon baller. Makes 30-150 meatballs depending on how large they are.
- Serves 6-8, more on the smörgåsbord.
1 good-sized red cabbage
2 red onions, peeled and sliced
225g fresh cranberries
50g butter, melted
3 juniper berries, optional
½tsp ground cinnamon
½tsp ground ginger
5tbsp soft brown sugar
5tbsp red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 150C/ 130C Fan/Gas 2.
- Remove any tough outer leaves from the red cabbage and discard. Finely shred the rest of the cabbage and make a layer in the bottom of a casserole dish. Then add a layer of onion slices and scatter over a handful cranberries. Continue layering up the dish in this way, finishing with cranberries on the top layer.
- Whisk the melted butter, juniper berries, cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar and vinegar together and season with salt and pepper. Pour over the cabbage and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook in the oven for 2½ to 3 hours, stirring once or twice, until tender.
Swedish Cardamom cake
40g butter, chilled, cubed
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup demerara sugar
1 lemon, rind finely grated
1 cup caster sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
125g butter, softened
300ml carton cream
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 7cm deep, 10cm x 21cm (base) loaf pan, allowing a 5cm paper overhang. Rub butter into flour to resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add demerara sugar and lemon rind. Mix well. Set aside.
- Make base: Process eggs, sugar and cardamom until combined. Add butter. Process until smooth. Add cream and flour. Pulse until combined. Spoon into pan.
- Sprinkle almonds over cake, pressing in with your fingertips. Sprinkle with lemon rind mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes in pan.
- Use baking paper overhang to lift cake onto a wire rack to cool. Slice and serve.
Post-offal entertainment: A Wii extravaganza: tennis, boxing
Excuses: None (amazing what happens when offal's off the menu...)
Quotes of the night:
Next venue: Could it be back to Mark's?