A last minute decision to have offal left most of our members floundering with excuses - the usual trio enjoying the delights of lamb's heart.
Location: Simon's house
Member's present: Howie, Simon, Jason
Braised Double-stuffed Lamb’s Heart
3 Lamb’s hearts
5 large flat-cap mushrooms – finely chopped
A teaspoon of Colman’s mustard powder
2 teaspoons of thyme – finely chopped
A mirepoix (onion, carrot, celery) – finely chopped
A cup (225ml) of lamb stock
A cup of red wine
- Wash the blood from the inside and trim the fat off the outside of the hearts then brown the outside in a frying pan.
- Fry up half an onion in the fat and then add the mushrooms after a couple of minutes. Add the mustard powder and the thyme. Use this mix to stuff the right half (the thin-walled cavity) of the hearts. Press black pudding into the left side of the hearts.
- Wrap with bacon and secure with wooden tooth picks/skewers. Place in a casserole pot. Surround with the mirepoix. Pour in the stock and wine.
- Cover and cook in the oven at 150oC for 2 hours.
- Remove the hearts. Liquidise the vegetables to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with mashed potato and rocket.
Accompanying wine: Cote du Rhone villages, Jaboulet 1998.
Post-offal entertainment: Halo 3 online multiplayer; Call of Duty 4; Wii tennis and boxing.
Excuses of the night:
"already have plans for Saturday"
"will be in Sardinia"
"already using up a ticket out for Friday night. Although I have not seen any official quota system in place in our house, I get the feeling there is one, actually."
"my wife and I are out celebrating our anniversary that night. How about I pop round after we get back??"
Quote of the night: I've got sweaty ears!
Next venue: Mark's house (no, really, it's going to happen)