Welcome to the inaugural blog post from The Offal Club.
This blog will bring you pictures, recipes and the occasional anecdote from all offal club meetings.
This particular evening was noteworthy as Mark seemed unable to keep his offal to himself after going home.
Location: Simon's House
Members Present: Simon, Jason, Mark , Daniel.
Ballotine of Pheasant rolled with Bury Black Pudding and Lamb’s Liver.
Bury black pudding
200ml Chicken stock
100ml Madeira wine
1 tablespoon Redcurrant jelly
2 rashers of streaky bacon
- Lay the deboned pheasant out flat, skin side down.
- Remove the skin from the black pudding and mold it in your hands then press it onto the pheasant meat, creating a thin layer.
- Cut the liver into strips about 1 cm thick and lay over the black pudding, covering the pheasant except for about 7cm at one end. Fold this end over to cover the adjacent liver.
- Peel the skin from the meat where it has been folded over. Turn the fold over again to create a roll, using the skin flap to pull it tight.
- Tie the roll up with string. Place 2 rashers of bacon atop the roll.
- Roast the ballotine for 50 mins at 200O C.
- Carve into slices about 1 cm thick.
- Put the stock, Madeira and cream into a pan and bring to the boil then simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken. Add redcurrant jelly to taste.
2 kidneys per person
1 teaspoon Worcester sauce
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Remove the fat and sinew from the outside of the kidneys. Cut in half length ways. Remove the central tough core with a pair of scissors.
- Skewer 4 kidney halves together length ways to prevent curling. Grill each side for 2 minutes.
- Mix the worcestire sauce, mustard and lemon juice together and paint onto the kidneys using a pastry brush. Grill each side for a further 1 minute.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Recommended Wine Fugue de Nenin, Pomerol 2001 (Domaine Delon).
Post Offal Entertainment: Halo 3 (multiscreen/multiplayer)
Quote of the Night (Mark's wife the following day): "I don't mean to be rude but has anyone else been violently sick after eating your offal!"
Next Venue: Mark's house.